When I was younger, my mom drilled into me for every holiday, every birthday, and every invitation required a thank you note. It is something that I still carry with me as I approach 30, and have come to hold some strong feelings toward. Through all the years, I always sent thank you cards to family and friends, but realized I was a minority.
Yes, people do have busy lives and often forget, but I did take the time pick out the gift, give it to you, and provide a card. So my position is that even if the adult does not want to take the time, then they should at least make the child send thank you cards out to instill a sense of thankfulness, respectfulness, and a bit of gratitude. You definitely do not want to burn your friends by continually inviting them to your children’s events, without thanking.
(All my thanks from $0.48 ea, StationeryStudio)
- Start with the date and salutation: Send your note, written in black ink, within a week of receiving a gift.
- Say thanks right off the bat: Be specific about why you are writing the note. If you’re thanking someone for a monetary gift, refer to their “generosity” rather than mentioning the amount.
- Compliment the kind gesture: Don’t be afraid to go over the top—everyone loves an effusive compliment, as long as it’s heartfelt.
- Allude to the future: Anticipate another get-together, or if you’re writing about a gift, be sure to tell them how you plan to use it.
- Finish with sincere regards: Reiterate your gratitude, then close the letter on an intimate note, signing your first and last name. Don’t forget to proofread before you postmark! (Thanks to Inkspot Workkshop)
Still worried about wording? Visit here. It generates samples based on the event.
A personalized drawing card especially for younger children, is a cute way to thank family members and close friends from a child. Also , children’s calling cards would work for any occasion and can be used throughout the years.
Some cute Children’s Thank You notes:
- Personalized drawing card TinyPrints.com from $1.89 ea.
- Calling Card InvitationBox.com. from $1.34 ea.
- Octopus Cut out MyExpression.com from 62¢ ea.